Friday, December 4, 2009

A Confession...

Hollis is a pretty high maintenance kid when the bedtime hour arrives. She requires much prodding to get upstairs, get her PJ's on, teeth brushed, devotionals read and then it is story time. Jason usually reads 3-4 books and then I am usually recruited to read 2 more. After that comes the obligatory drink of water, angel song, prayers and "monster spray"(to discourage the monsters from bothering her at night-especially one named "Steve" who must really pester her). Finally, it is time to push "play" on her CD player and pray the music is to her liking.To be quite honest, I am spent around 9:15 at night and there is nothing I want more than to put her in her little bed, kiss her goodnight, and turn out the lights. So, needless to say, I am really, really lucky to have a spouse who helps carry 75% of the load at night.
One of Hollis' favorite books to read with Jason is "I Spy". I loathe this book and she knows that so she no longer asks me to read it. I am in no mood to look for little characters in a book for 25 minutes at that hour at night. Jason, on the other hand, endures it every night and didn't seem to mind, I assumed, until the truth came out last night. This is the conversation I had with him at 9:30 last night after the reading of "I Spy."
"Wow, Honey, you deserve a purple heart for reading that book."
"Yeah, I know," he says while brushing his teeth.
"Well, she knows better than ask me to read it, because it is not gonna happen," I assert.

"SHHHH," he says( his eyes as wide as saucers at this point), "I just KICKED it under her dresser."
Everyone has a breaking point, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment