Thursday, April 15, 2010

Roundup time

Hollis has Kindergarten Round Up today.
That's a fancy way of saying today is the day I register Hollis for kindergarten.
I wish I could say I was really, really excited, but I'm not.
I know I should be, but I'm not.
I'm really sad.
This "letting go" thing stinks.
I don't think I am very good at it.

The school she attends now, she learns about God and Jesus and patience and kindness and grace and forgiveness and goodness and love.
I love that.
Her teachers hug her and tell her they love her and that she is perfect just the way she is.
The only major dilemma in her day usually comes at playtime when she has to choose between picking  dandelion bouquets or playing with her friends in the sandbox.
I wish life was like that for all God's children.
But I know it's not.

Homeschooling her has crossed my mind a time or two.
Oh, we would have great fun critiquing Starbucks newest blend and dancing along with Ellen on the "Ellen Show."
Deciding which park to picnic would be priority for the day.
Bubble contests and tea parties and sidewalk chalk  would fill our time.
Academically productive?
Hmmmm, probably not so much.

Don't get me wrong, Hollis is over the moon at the thought of going to kindergarten.
She is rip roaring ready. Letters and numbers and all.
It is time to let her fly.

The other day, I was explaining to her that she will go to school everyday next year, that our leisurely easy breezy days won't come as often anymore.
To that thought she replied, "That's ok Mom. We can still see each other when we ride around in the car."
Gulp.
I am happy that one of us is ok with this "letting go" thing.
And I will learn to work on it.
Just promise to take it easy on this poor mama's heart till then, ok Hollis?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so hard isn't it? I feel so sad for you, I have a lump in my throat. I know how sad it feels!! They are totally "in our control" up to now, and suddenly there's recess and times where we can't control what they are exposed to. Hang in there mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey R.
    Yep. Parenthood is not for the faint of heart, is it? Maybe I need to see the wizard for some courage.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took Luke to tour his school last week and was completely excited while I was there, but got really sad later when I started thinking about him being gone all day every day- no half day here! :( Beginning elementary school is such a hard transition for everyone- especially the mamas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hollis is so very luckly to have you and Jason for parents . So many kids are just "pushed out" of the nest- "can't wait until my kid starts school and gets out of the house". I know it hurts, now Allie, but the rewards will be in the long term.
    Thanks taking such good care of Hollis
    Love Ya !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abird:
    I know how hard this is for you. I heard that Darius Rucker song the other "It won't be like this forever" and it killed me to think about Lou growing up on us. She is ready because you have done such an awesome job preparing her to go into the world and be a star. Remember she'll always need her best friend/mom/playmate!! I love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete