Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Dunes

I am starting to panic.
About time.
The lack of.
This summer is flying by way too fast for my taste.
Hollis starts school in one month. I know in my heart things will really change around here.
Gulp.
So we packed a car on Monday morning and set out for Indiana Dunes in Chesterton, IN.
Bathing suits, animal crackers and a geriatric dog included.

This was the sand hill we climbed to get to the top of the dunes...in 85 degree heat.
 I'd be lyin' to you if I said I sprinted up it.
 I was forcing myself to smile in this picture.
And thinking to myself, the view sure is pretty but this might be one of the most stupidest things I've done in a long time. And for the record, that is saying a lot.
The hike even wore out my hyperactive dog-who you will never see lying down for a picture again.
And my 5 year old who, when I told her we had to go back DOWN the hill, declared
"Oh the humanity of it all."
(Where did she learn that??) 
And then Jason dropped my camera in the sand.
So if there are no more blogs for awhile, well, you know why.
 We promised Hollis we'd take her swimming in Lake Michigan.
Which meant I sat in the car with Wrigley(who, I quickly discovered,  has a strong dislike for seagulls)
while Hollis and Jason swam for an hour .
Thank you for taking one for the team, J.
 But all was not lost.
We were able to stop at Indiana's first and oldest diner on the way home. The XXX diner.
It was even featured on the Food Network awhile back.They are known for their root beer and delish burgers.I need to clear that up with a name like Triple XXX and all.
 I was NOT faking a smile in this picture..but Jason was. He was so embarrassed when the sweet owner took our picture.
That's ok. He'll thank me for it in 20 years.
Right J?? Right?


And any day that is ended with a root beer float is a winner in my book.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes when we are having just another humdrum, back-to-the-work-week kind of Monday, I wonder what adventures my sweet friends the LePages are having! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week I was trying to go into preterm labor on a sand dune! :)
    Never a dull moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, cracks me up! I LOVE that comment by Hollis!
    And, thank you, I was just getting ready to request a picture of the mama and finally got one. My only request now, show a little more of that belly. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. More belly pics coming your way, Rach. :)

    ReplyDelete