Monday, August 16, 2010

The First Day

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

She started school this morning,
And she seemed so very small,
As I waited there beside her,
In the kindergarten hall.

And as she took her place beside \
The others in the class,
I realized how all too soon
Those first few years can pass

Remembering, I saw her as
She first learned how to walk,
The words that we alone made out
When she began to talk

This little one so much absorbed
In learning how to write!
It seems as if she had left
Her childhood overnight.

My eyes were blurred but hastily
I brushed my tears away,
Lest by some word or sign of mine
I mar this first big day.

Oh, how I longed to stay there
And keep her in the hand,
To lead her through the places
That I couldn't understand.

And something closely kin to fear
Was mingled with my pride.
I knew she would no longer be
A baby by my side.

But she must have a chance to live
To work the problems out.
The privilege to grow and learn
What life is all about.

And I must share my little one
With friends and work and play.
She's not my baby anymore...
She started school today.


And now, my sweet soul, go light the world...

3 comments:

  1. What sweet pictures! Hollis looks so happy and excited! Yay for Hollis!! (and hugs for her mama!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my gosh Allie, did you write this poem yourself? You rock!
    My heart goes out to you as I know how this feels! She will do so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Girlies!
    No, I wish I were a poet but I am not! My mother-in-law sent me that poem because she knew I was struggling!
    As a post-script, things here are pretty good. Hollis LOVES school-like I knew she would and I am finding things to fill my time too-like getting spots off the carpet!:)
    Thanks for your encouraging words-although I don't think I will ever get used to the idea of "letting her go". Sigh.

    ReplyDelete