Friday, July 2, 2010

Kickin' it 1830's Style

A beautiful day.
Perfect.
Couldn't special ordered a better one if I tried.
And Conner Prairie was calling.
So Doodle and I answered the call.
No hot air balloon rides today. Mama didn't bring enough cash.
So we pretended instead.
One of the many things I love about Hollis is she never begs for toys or candy or special treats while we are out.
Maybe it's because I'm always telling her how broke I am.

I made her pose with this donkey.
She could've skipped the entire barn/animal petting and been fine with it.
I could've stayed there all day.
She must get non-animal loving gene from her Daddy's side.
I mean, who doesn't want to pet a donkey??
She was much more interested in the Purell dispenser
.Hollis was zoning when this sweet lady was talking to her about spinning wheels.
Maybe she was still thinking about the Purell dispenser.
Because it was the 4th weekend, they had extra special activities.
There was sack racing, watermelon seed spitting contests, theater performances, barn dances and militia drills.
Cake tastings and pioneer baseball games and tomahawk throwing contests.
Indian legends and wilderness stories about the campfire.Patriotic sing-alongs.
Sounds like fun, doesn't it?
I couldn't convince Hollis to participate in one single thing.And I got really grouchy, really fast.
UGH.
I then I felt guilty that I was disappointed/mad she didn't want to take advantage of all there was to offer.
Mom Guilt is the WORST.
She was teaching me an important lesson today.
I need to accept her for her interests and gifts God gave her and not try to force her adhere to my standards/likes/dislikes.
And once I realized this, things went much more smoothly for the day.
She was happiest inside with the scientific experiments.
And pretend play.
And dress up, of course.
Yes, she was much happier.
And so was I.
It was indeed a perfect day.
Even without the watermelon spitting seed contest.

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Hollis in the dress up clothes! She is so spunky and so darn cute! We just put something in the mail for her from Luke. It was so cute it actually brought tears to my eyes! He wrote it completely independently, so if you can't read it, let me know. I can't wait to get those two together to play in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Mom guilt IS the worst. But you changed your course and made both of you happy again. Good for you! It can be hard when we have expectations they aren't fulfilling in our heads isn't it? But it looks like she had a blast. Kudos to you for keeping it an adventure!

    ReplyDelete